Mirza Ghasemi (Iranian Aubergine Dip)
Here is a recipe from Mohsen Iranian restaurant. Aubergines are considered a staple in Iran, not dissimilar to our potato. They are used in numerous recipes an this simple recipe is for a tasty dip perfect at the start of any meal.
- 2 large eggplant
- 2 large tomatoes, diced, skin removed
- a large glug of olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, well chopped
- 1/4 cup good quality tomato paste
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 large eggs
1. Bake the eggplants in a hot oven until cooked and flaccid. This occurs when the eggplants swell and their skin then bursts. Take them out of the oven and let them cool down. Peel them, cut off the hard tops and dice into small pieces.
2. Bring water to a rolling boil in a small saucepan and cook your tomatoes for two minutes. Drain, cool slightly and peel them and cut into small pieces removing the seeds.
3. Sauté the garlic in oil over medium heat until golden. Add eggplants and continue cooking for a further few minutes. Add the tomatoes, all the spices and fry until the excess water is gone. With a large spoon push the eggplant mixture to one side of the pan.
4.Beat the eggs well with a fork. Pour into the empty side of the pan, fry until half-cooked and then blend with the eggplants and cook for a further for 1-2 minutes.
5. Garnish with chopped parsley and a little olive oil and serve with flat bread.